Volunteering in Schools
The 2011 CBI Survey on Education and Skills, Building_for_Growth has indicated that companies find young people lacking in Employability Skills. You can help change that by volunteering to support school and teachers to understand the world of work.
Working with schools has many benefits depending on what outcome you would like from your involvement. It can:
- raise your company's profile in the local community
- help make a difference in your local and wider community
- develop your employees' key skills
- improve staff motivation and retention
- challenge stereotypes young people may have about your industry and associated careers
- increase awareness of your business sector and skills requirement of your future workforce
- increase your recruitment opportunities by working with potential future recruits
- support the corporate and social responsibility of your company
The DEBP works with schools throughout Derbyshire to support employability skills and career choices. If you would like to volunteer your services please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you or any of your employees have a background in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics - STEM - why not consider getting involved in the STEM Ambassadors Programme. There are over 30,000 people in the UK enrolled as STEM Ambassadors in the UK and they have a fantastic time supporting young people. For more information go to STEM Ambassadors, case studies or download the STEM Ambassadors - guide for employers.