On ‘Thank A Teacher Day on the 22nd June, as the national Teaching Awards marked its 20th year of celebrating excellence in education, 65 Silver Pearson Teaching Awards Winners were announced across the country. Following thousands of nominations, these special celebrations took place in schools and colleges across England, Wales and Northern Ireland as the prestigious trophies were presented to outstanding teachers, teaching assistants, headteachers and lecturers.
The Pearson Teaching Awards are an annual celebration of exceptional teachers, founded in 1998 by Lord Puttnam to recognise the life-changing impact an inspirational teacher can have on the lives of the young people they teach.
Silver Award winners will go on to the 20th UK Ceremony of the Pearson Teaching Awards, a glittering ceremony held in central London on 21st October. There they will find out which of them has won one of just 12 Gold Plato Awards, the UK’s “Oscars for Teachers”.
The October ceremony, titled “Britain’s Classroom Heroes”, will be filmed and broadcast by the BBC as a showcase of excellence in education. Previous award presenters have included former prime ministers David Cameron and Tony Blair, acting legends Jenny Agutter, Alison Steadman and Sheila Hancock and sports and TV personalities including Shirley Ballas, Helen Glover, Brendan Cole and Nadiya Hussain.
We’ve had lots of teachers in our area announced as winners of the 2018 Silver Pearson Teaching Awards in the following categories (many of which we have had the pleasure to work):
- The Award for Excellence in Special Needs Education – Ms Marie Watson, The Royal School for the Deaf, Derby, and Mrs Dawn Broom, Fir Vale School Academy Trust, Sheffield
- The Award for Lifetime Achievement – Mrs Valerie Dunsford, Sheffield High School for Girls, Sheffield
- The Award for Outstanding New Teacher of the Year – Ms Charlotte Grace, Outwood Academy Shafton, Barnsley
- The Award for Teacher of the Year in a Primary School – Mrs Heather Cooper, Spire Junior School, Chesterfield
- The Award for Teacher of the Year in a Secondary School, supported by SSAT – Ms Victoria Withall, The Elizabethan Academy, Retford
Congratulations to these teachers and all the many others recognised! For the complete list go to www.teachingawards.com/2018silvernews